For any organization, the New Year provides a great opportunity to reflect on the past and set a healthier course for the future. Companies can take a variety of internal actions to prepare for impeding market changes, but rarely do they have the power to influence the course of an entire industry on their own. For those devoted to improving clustered server and data center performance, joining an industry alliance such as the InfiniBand Trade Association (IBTA) offers a chance to contribute to the foundational work that sets the path for technological advances one, five and ten years into the future.
The IBTA is the organization that maintains and furthers the InfiniBand specification, used by Cloud service providers and high performing enterprise data centers as well as the interconnect of choice for the world’s fastest supercomputers. Additionally, the IBTA defines the specification for RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE), which leverages the advantages of RDMA technology for Ethernet-based environments.
Leading enterprise IT vendors and HPC research facilities make up the coalition of more than 50 members that all have a shared interest in the advancement of InfiniBand and/or RoCE technology. Each member company contributes specialized expertise to IBTA’s various technical working groups, which shape and guide the progression of InfiniBand and RoCE capabilities.
Joining the IBTA comes with a variety of membership benefits, including:
- The InfiniBand and RoCE architecture specifications as they are being developed
- Meeting minutes and notices of proposed and actual changes to IBTA-controlled documents
- IBTA-sponsored Compliance and Interoperability Plugfests and workshops
- The maintenance of the InfiniBand Roadmap, which defines future speeds and lane widths for InfiniBand-based technologies
- IBTA sponsored activities at tradeshows including the annual Supercomputing Conference in November
- IBTA speaking and demo opportunities
- Influence and contribute to the ongoing development and maintenance of the InfiniBand and RoCE architecture specifications
- Add approved products to the IBTA Integrators’ List, which provides a centralized listing of products that have passed a suite of compliance and interoperability testing
- Post InfiniBand and RoCE related whitepapers, webinars, podcasts and press releases on the IBTA and RoCE Initiative web sites
- Submit and obtain access to information regarding licensing policies posted by member patent holders on specific InfiniBand and RoCE architecture specifications
- Network with the world’s foremost developers of InfiniBand and RoCE hardware and software